20050428

When will the waiting end?

Anyone who has read the Bill of Rights knows that the second Amendment states: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Thanks to the NRA, we as Americans are pretty much assured that our right to carry guns will not be taken away. However, Arms is not just solely in reference to guns, but to all weapons. Why am I denied my right to carry a sword at my side? Or to legally keep throwing knives on my person? I believe it is unconstitutional to forbid the bearing of knives and swords (or whatever weapon we want to bear) while we allow people to conceal guns on their person. Is someone less dead because they were shot instead of stabbed? True, I'd rather have a gun in a knife fight than a knife in a gun fight, but I think that there is an art to swordsmanship that has been lost because no longer are we allowed to carry them at our side.

I hope that one day America will realize that we have not realized in fullness our constitutional right to keep and bear arms, and that one day in the future, I will be allowed to carry my katana at my side.

No comments: